Sunday, May 2, 2010

Back on the Road Again

And I have such mixed emotions!!! Kirk leaving on Saturday morning (May 1st) to go back in his own truck - over the road! His new venture working for D&A McRae hauling crude oil was full of ups and downs. He really loved being home as much as he was since August when he parked his own truck due to low freight rates and an uncertain future in the trucking industry. But... the change wasn't without some adjustments for both of us. It was different to have him home every night, but I really was getting used to it and I loved knowing that he wasn't out on the road for those long hauls. He had lots of spare time to work on the cabin and do some things around home that he had been wanting to do. He also got to go to some of the grandkids activities, ward parties, and other activities that he had often missed. He gained new experiences hauling oil and pulling a gas tank with a second trailer. He had to adjust to not being his own boss and sharing a truck with others, plus not knowing from one day to the next which truck he would be driving. Lately things had slowed down at D&A McRae with only 5 loads a week for him. I could tell he was getting the bug to be back in his own truck and it was decided after a visit with Sandy & Cody at Anderson Trucking in March. Things are picking back up again - freight rates are better and there seems to be more loads to haul. So........ here we are again after a fast & frantic few weeks getting licensing, insurance, authority, fuel cards, and everything else back in order for another venture. It all went so smooth - makes you wonder if this wasn't supposed to happen. Kirk was really quite excited as he climbed back into this beautiful red truck and..... you have to admit..... he really looks like he's at home in there.
But, I have to admit that I was a bit teary as I watched him drive down the road, headed for Texas and missing a weekend at home. I can do this! He can do this! We can do this together - I just pray that he can spend weekends at home! Only time will tell.

0 comments: