Saturday, February 16, 2008

Time Taker I





Jones & DeMille Engineering - Probably the biggest time taker of all. This year I am going on 24 years and I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Jason was almost 10 and Mark & Melissa were 7 when I went to work full time. Melissa came to get me the other day to go look at some countertops and when she dropped me back off at work, Makalya asked, "Grandma - why did you sign up for work?" It made me laugh, but made me think. Why? At the time, Kirk had decided to sell his truck and go to work for Robinson Trucking hauling coal. We just weren't making ends meet and I needed to go to work to help out. We intended to have me work only part time, but when this full time job came up, I applied. It was a major adjustment to go from being a stay at home mom to a full time employee. It was hard for me and I'm sure difficult at times for my children. Like anyone, I have regrets for not always being there, but I think my children turned out great in spite of me. Kirk soon went back to being an Owner-Operator, but we made the decision for me to keep working so we could have insurance benefits and by then we were used to the extra income. I actually like my job - it has been challenging and rewarding in many ways. I just don't like the fact that I am quite tied most of the time. They are a very family oriented business and I have been able to attend most everything that my family has been involved in through the years. The business has grown from 5 when I started to 42 full time employees and many more seasonal employees in the summer. I used to be the only secretary, but they now have 4 secretaries and 2 accountants. I was so happy to finally get some help this last year. Not only do we handle all the accounting (Payables, receivables, payroll, etc); our department handles all insurance issues (Health, Auto, and Professional Liability), HR (Human Resources), and many other things. When J&D celebrated 25 years of business in 2007, we were lucky enough to get to go on an all expense paid trip to Mexico with 22 other employees and their spouses. We were excited that Mark and JaLee were a part of that group. We had so much fun and hope they do that again before I retire. Even though my job is a major "time taker" for me, it also gives us the opportunity to be able to afford to do fun things and give to others as well.

0 comments: